I’m a new mom. Again. I’m officially the mom of a brand new 2 year old and a 1 month old. It’s been a whirlwind couple of weeks – and we have a whirlwind couple months ahead.
As we were anticipating the birth of our baby girl, I did my best to get organized. I’m a planner by nature so I wanted to be prepared even though I knew there was a steep learning curve ahead.
I gleaned a lot of advice from Moms all around me. That’s what I love about being a Mom! Everyone is willing to share if you are willing to ask. Of course, you have to decide what is right for you and your child and your family. We can all be great Moms in our own way. I took everyone’s advice and have already learned a lot about how best to stay organized with 2 children under the age of 2.
I want to share some of my organizational tips with you – and I’d love to hear yours!
1. Plan simple meals. I love to cook but realize that I am now in a season where simple meals are how I need to cook. A main dish with a fruit and vegetable is a nice rounded meal. Frozen meals are quite helpful in a pinch, too. I still double even my simple meals so I can freeze one for later. Simple is good – in more ways than one.
2. Keep a running to-do list. It’s much harder to keep track of what needs to be done when you are running on less sleep and trying to keep up with an active toddler. Writing things down helps you to remember what needs to be done. I like to write down even the little tasks so I don’t forget anything. It also helps me feel productive when I am able to cross things off my list.
3. Allow yourself extra time to accomplish everything. Things are not going to happen as quickly as they did, now that you are keeping up with 2 little ones. When I look at my to-do list, I now consider it a good day when I accomplish one or two things off my list instead of the five or more that I used to accomplish. Little children take more of your time and that’s how it should be. The other chores can wait for a time.
4. Keep the diaper bag ready to go at all times. With two little ones, you need to be prepared and organized. Pack diapers and wipes for both kids, as well as a change of clothes for each of them. I like to keep a couple bagged snacks and storybooks for the 2 year old in the diaper bag as well. Plan ahead and pack whatever you may need at any given moment.
5. Stay stocked with diapers. This is one of the simplest and best ways to stay organized with two under the age of two. No mom wants to run out of diapers, so save yourself a trip and buy more than one pack of diapers at a time. I start buying diapers well ahead of time and like to buy multiple packages of diapers whenever I find a good deal.
6. Be flexible and adapt to whatever the day may bring. Some days simply do not go according to plan, no matter how organized you are! There will be temper tantrums, countless diaper changes, drinks that spill, and exhausting days. On these days, take a deep breath and just keep going. Tomorrow is a new day.
These are just some of my tips for staying organized. Fellow moms, no matter what age your children are, what do YOU do to stay organized? I’d love to hear your tips in the comments below!