I am always looking for ways to save more money on things I buy, whether in store or online. In the past year, I have started intentionally using Amazon Subscribe and Save to save more money in my budget. I have learned a lot, including what the best items for Subscribe and Save really are! Here are all my tips and tricks for saving money with Amazon Subscribe and Save.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read more in my disclosure policy.
Before I jump into all the questions I know you have, please know that I not speaking officially for Amazon. I am just a frugal Mom who loves to save money…and if I can save money while shopping online? Even better. This post is my attempt at helping others save money on Amazon Subscribe and Save. So, let’s get started!
What exactly is Amazon Subscribe and Save?
This is a program set up by Amazon where you select products to be delivered in a monthly shipment to your door. There are thousands of products available as part of this program, and there is no fee for setting up a delivery. There is no minimum or no maximum to the number of items in your shipment.
You can set the frequency of your delivery, varying from monthly to every six months. You can cancel your shipment at any time.
Amazingly, you do not need to be a Prime member to use Subscribe and Save, although Amazon says non-members MAY have a shipping fee on their first delivery.
How does Subscribe and Save work?
When you are shopping on Amazon, start to pay attention to the items that list “Subscribe & Save” below your regular purchase price.
If you are willing to wait for a couple days to save a bit more, do it! Just click “Subscribe & Save” instead of “One time purchase” and you have just set up your first Subscribe order.
I would recommend selecting deliver every 6 months, when setting up your order. You have to select a delivery time frame to place your order. If you only need a one time shipment, you can still use the Subscribe and Save option. As soon as your product arrives, just log onto your Amazon account, look for Subscriptions, and cancel the product with a click. It is super simple to do…and I do it all the time!
All the orders you select with Subscribe and Save will be delivered together on a day of the month of your choice.
How soon can you cancel Subscribe and Save orders?
You can cancel orders at any time, unless they are locked for shipment. I usually cancel my Subscribe and Save orders as soon as the items arrive. I use the delivery as my reminder to cancel. In case I forget, I always set my delivery for 6 months out to give me plenty of time to cancel. You will get a reminder before your order locks for delivery, in case you want to cancel later. I prefer to simply cancel right away, once my good Subscribe and Save deals arrive.
To cancel your subscriptions, go to Manage Subscriptions, Subscription and Select Cancel. You can also select skip a delivery if you prefer that option.
I do NOT receive an order every month. Some people do. That is a convenient option! I like to use this service to find the best deals, and place a couple orders a year, when the deals are really good on something I need. This is the best place I have found to buy toilet paper lately.
How can you save money with Subscribe and Save?
There are two great ways to save.
1. Include at least 5 items in every subscription order.
Why? If you subscribe to 1 to 4 items each month, you will get 5% off each order. If you subscribe to 5 or more items a month, your discount jumps to 15%. The discount stays at 15% for quantities of above 5.
Your discount applies to all Subscribe and Save items purchased in a month, scheduled for the same auto delivery. You will see the 5% on your first 4 subscriptions, but once you order the fifth item, your price will be adjusted so all 5 items include the 15% off. Your credit card is not charged until items ship.
Please note that when Amazon says 5 subscriptions, it means 5 different items, regardless of quantities. You can’t order 5 toothpastes for this to work. Instead, you would need to order 3 toothpaste, 1 bar of soap, 1 bottle of foundation, 1 box of Ticonderoga pencils and 2 pillow cases (if they are all Subscribe and Save items) to get to the 15% discount.
Remember, you can place these orders throughout the month. I do! I rarely purchase multiple items at one time. When I see a good deal, then I add it to my subscriptions. I do make sure to pay attention to how many orders I have placed to know when I am close to 5.
2. Stack the subscription discount with clippable coupons.
This is something you have to keep your eyes on, but often times products will offer an extra 25% to 50% off your first subscription. These coupons are in addition to your subscription discount!
For example, this is the primary way I buy my Boston contact solution now. It costs $8.87 for one bottle at my local Walmart. Amazon sells a 2 pack for $17.98. At this price, it is cheaper to buy it at Walmart. When I get 5% off, the price drops to $17.08 or $8.54 a bottle, now cheaper than Walmart. If you get the 15% off, the price drops even more to $15.28 or $7.64 a bottle.
Last month, Amazon had a stackable coupon for 25% off my first Subscribe and Save order on Boston solution. I also had a 15% discount, which took my final price to $10.78 or $5.39 a bottle! I was able to get 2 bottles, shipped to my door, significantly cheaper than the everyday low price at Walmart. When you stack coupons and discounts, this is how you save the most money on Amazon Subscribe and Save.
How do you maximize Subscribe and Save?
The best way to maximize your savings is to make sure you always have 5 items in your subscribe and save order.
If you don’t have 5 items, fill in your order with cheap Subscribe and Save items that you need. See the list below for 50 cheap subscribe and save fillers. This is a great way to make sure you get the full discount!
Say you have 3 subscribe and save items you really need this month, and don’t know what else to order. I spent a lot of time looking through Amazon to find cheap items that help me get the maximum discount. One of my favorites? Fels-Naptha soap! But there are lots of other cheap Subscribe and Save items available as well. I compiled a list of the absolute cheapest Subscribe and Save items I could find to share with you as well.
Here are more than 50 of the best Subscribe and Save deals on Amazon.
These Amazon prices are all current as of August 2022. Due to Amazon prices changing, this post will be updated on a regular basis to help you save the most money on your Subscribe and Save orders.
My Go-To Subscribe Items
- Huggies Box of Baby Wipes, 11 packages
- Rimmel Classic Ivory Foundation
- Colgate Kids Toothpaste
- Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar & Stain Remover
- Watkins Pure Almond Extract
- Boston Conditioning Solution, 2 Pack (Bought when paired with a 25% coupon)
- Scott Toilet Paper, 32 rolls
- Batteries (Various brands, bought when paired with 25% to 40% off coupon)
Cheapest Subscribe and Save Items $1 or Less
- Del Monte Canned Tomatoes, Zesty Chili Style
- Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar & Stain Remover
- Wet and Wild Lip Stick, Just Garnet (Check shades for other options too)
- Wet and Wild Eye Liner, Baby’s Got Black
- Jumex Apricot Nectar
- Reach Dental Floss
- Placker Floss Picks Travel Pack, 12 ct
- LA Colors Nail Polish, Aquatic
- Bic Ballpoint Pens, 10 count
- Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint, Fruit Punch (Check other colors for more options)
Amazon Subscribe and Save Deals Under $2
- Green Giant Cut Green Beans
- Green Giant Creamed Corn
- Happy Belly Black Olives
- Glade Solid Air Freshener, Clean Linen
- Glade Solid Air Freshener, Peach and Lavender
- Swiss Miss Salted Carmel Hot Cocoa
- Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- Starkist Ready to Eat Tuna Salad Kit
- McCormick Sea Salt Grinder
- Sun Maid Raisins, 6 count boxes
- Lifesaver Gummies
- Lipton Family Size Tea Bags
- Colgate Kids Toothpaste
- Aquafresh Toothpaste
- Luden’s Wild Cherry Throat Drops
- Chapstick Cherry Lip Balm
- Zatarain’s Red Rice and Beans
- Zatarain’s Spanish Rice
- Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix
- McCormick Au Jus Gravy Mix
- McCormick Chili Seasoning Packet
- Wishbone Ranch Dressing
- Wet and Wild Mega Last High Shine Lip Color (Other colors included too)
- Wet and Wild Black Gel Eyeliner
- LA Colors, 12 palette Eyeshadow, Daylight (Other palettes included too)
- LA Colors Eyebrow Pencil with Sharpener
- Neutrogena Make Up Cleansing Facial Wipes, Travel Pack
- Sharpie, 2 count, Ultra Fine Markers
- Cra-z-art Glue Sticks, 3 count
Best Subscribe and Save Items Less Than $3
- Honey Nut Cheerios
- Reese Puff’s Cereal
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Lucky Charms
- Betty Crocker Wild Blueberry Muffin Mix
- GoGo Squeez Cinnamon Applesauce Pouches
- Hamburger Helper 4 Cheese Lasagna, Twin Pack
- Hamburger Helper Stroganoff, Twin Pack
- Log Cabin Country Syrup
- Nestle Cocoa
- Fishers Chopped Walnuts, 6 oz
- Vlasic Sweet ‘n Crunchy Mini Dills
- Capri Sun, Pacific Cooler, 10 count
- Happy Belly Quick Oats, 18 oz
- Whole Spanish Queen Olives
- J.L. Kraft Garlic Aioli
- Crunch and Munch Brownie Crunch Popcorn
- Pure Cane Demerara Sugar, 1.5 lb
- So Delicious Organic Vanilla Coconut Milk, 32 oz
- Thai Kitchen Pad Thai Noodle Kit
- True Lemon Fruit Punch, 10 ct
- Crystal Light, Concord Grape
- Fiber One Soft Baked Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Wet and Wild Eye Lash Curler
- Wet and Wild Megaslicks Lip Gloss, Rose Gold
- Wet and Wild Megaslicks Lip Gloss, Love Language
- Cutex Nail Polish Remover
- Gum Travel Folding Toothbrushes, 2 count
- Orajel Kids Toothpaste
- EOS Super Soft Lip Balm – Honey Apple
- Duncan Hines Mug Cakes Caramel Brownies
- Duncan Hines Mug Cakes Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Duncan Hines Mega Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Duncan Hines Mega Sugar Cookie Mix
- Wonderful Pistachios, 2.5 oz
- McCormick Pumpkin Spice Extract
- Glade Carpet Refresher, Hawaiian Breeze
- Sylvania Light Bulb, 75W
- Kraft Blue Cheese Dressing
- Kraft Tuscan Catalina Dressing
- Heinz Ketchup
- McCormick Imitation Bacon Bits
- Wishbone Blue Cheese Dressing
- Suave Powder Roll On Deodorant
- Wet and Wild Mega Last Nail Color, Haze of Love
- Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Shampoo
- Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar
- Nexcare Waterproof Bandages, 20 count
- Band-Aid Sheer Strips, 40 count
- Wet and Wild Megaslicks Lip Gloss, That’s My Jam
There are so many deals available with Subscribe and Save, you could even place an order of 5 or more items from the above list and score some great bargain deals – all from the comfort of your couch!
Now that you know the best Amazon subscribe and save deals, pin this post to make sure you can always access this list to use as cheap filler items for your next subscribe and save purchase.
Do you have any tips or tricks for ordering with Amazon Subscribe and Save? What are your go to orders? Still have questions? Ask in the comments and I will do my best to help!